What is a Healthy School Team? The purpose of a Healthy School Team (HST) is to utilize faculty and staff in each school building who are considered leaders in each of the 8 CSH health components in order to identify and address health needs.
Healthy School Teams in Sumner County have focused on 3 goals the past couple of years: Rethink Your Drink, Staff Wellness, and a goal of the healthy school team's choice.
Staff Wellness: Healthy staff are positive health role models for students. Teachers and other school employees are charged with educating and caring for one of our most precious assets – our students. Therefore, it is imperative that school employees are supported in their efforts to stay healthy and active so that they can do their job most effectively.
Wellness opportunities such as health assessments, health and nutrition education, and physical fitness activities can be provided to all school staff, including the administrators, teachers and support personnel, to improve their health status. These opportunities encourage staff to pursue a healthy lifestyle that contributes to their improved health status, improves morale, and promotes a greater personal commitment to the health of students by serving as positive role models.
Goal Ideas for Staff Wellness include:
1. After school aerobics, yoga, dance classes, fit clubs, etc
2. Staff Fitness Challenges (Weight loss challenge, walking challenge, 30 Day Water Challenge included in the ReThink Your Drink Toolkit, etc)
3. Walk Teams
4. Educational activities for school staff members on healthy lifestyle behaviors, eating, physical activity, and injury prevention.
5. Work with administration and vendors to provide more nutritional options in staff vending machines.
6. Establishment of peer support groups for weight management, stress management, tobacco-use cessation, family guidance, and other identified issues.
7. Time during the school day, such as “release time,” during which teachers and other staff members can participate in health-promoting activities.
Healthy School Team Resources
Kohl's Healthy at Home