Accessibility Tools

Sumner County school's logo

Sumner County school's logo
Sumner County Schools

Steps to Enrolling Your Child in Sumner County Schools

Step 1

Determine the Child's Eligibility: All children age 5 by August 15 and living within Sumner County are eligible for enrollment. The Tennessee Compulsory Attendance Law (TCA 49-6-3001), requires all children between the ages of 6 and 18 to attend school and be on time to school and classes. Each child seeking to enroll in the school system must be a resident of Sumner County.

Step 2

Identify and Contact the School: Registration takes place at each individual school. Parents are asked to contact the school office to make an appointment for registration. School staff can provide a Spanish speaking interpreter for you if you ask in advance. If you are unsure about which school your child should attend, please call the Sumner County Board of Education at 451-5200 and tell them your address. Attendance Zone maps are also available at

Step 3

Gather the necessary documents the school will request:

  1. An official birth certificate showing the student’s date of birth. If the student was born in Tennessee, a copy of the birth certificate can be obtained at any Tennessee Health Department location.
  2. Evidence of a current medical examination. This applies to kindergarten, first grade and other students for whom there is no health record.
  3. Immunization record: Parents are required to provide a Tennessee School Immunization Record when enrolling their children in Sumner County Schools for the first time. This record is available from your pediatrician or from the Sumner County Health Department. (A list of required vaccines can be found here) There are Health Department Offices at: 1005 Union School Road in Gallatin, 214 W. Longview Drive in Portland, and at the Hendersonville Clinic, 351 New Shackle Island Rd. in Hendersonville.
  4. A photo ID is requested to identify the parent/guardian enrolling a child.
  5. At least two (2) documents establishing proof of residence are required:
    1. Legal document/lease showing proof of residency for specific address (Notary public or typed/hand written letters from the land owner are not accepted.)
    2. Current invoice/bill (electric, gas, water, landline telephone) assigned to a specific address and the primary custodial parent/guardian.  (Cell phone bill is not accepted.)

Students who do not speak English as their first language will be enrolled immediately even if they do not have one or more of these documents. The Tennessee School Immunization Record is required for enrollment.

Students who are identified as homeless will be enrolled immediately even if they do not have one or more of these documents. The Tennessee School Immunization Record is required for enrollment.

Transfer/Moving out of town/state: When a child changes schools during the school year, a parent/guardian should visit the school office to complete a withdrawal form before enrolling the child in a new school.

The Sumner Connect site is the technology information and training hub to support Sumner County educators, students, and parents.