All home schooled students must be registered with the local Board of Education each year. (TAC 49-6-3050) Options and explanation:
- Independent. Physical custodial parent/ guardian must have GED, High School Diploma or College Degree. Upon registering with the Attendance Department parent must provide copies of students birth certificate, Tennessee shot records and parent/guardian proof of education. Teaching parent/guardian will provide their own curriculum; keep record of daily attendance/time and grades. Students returning to public school will be tested for appropriate grade level or number of credits. There is no cost to register.
- Church Related or Satellite Home School Programs. These are non-public homeschool programs that are under an “umbrella” of a private school. The curriculum and guidelines will be provided by the agency. The cost varies depending on selection. Once student is registered the parent/guardian will take proof of enrollment to the school of origin to withdraw student and transfer school records. The Attendance Department requests notification of any home school transfers.
- Tennessee Virtual Academy. This full-time virtual academy is available for only grades of 1-8. Students may enroll in TVA during open enrollment only. An application is completed by parent/guardian from the Tennessee Virtual Academy in order to transfer their child. Once open enrollment is closed students will not be appoved to enroll into the Tennessee Virtual Academy.
- Call (865) 992-9026 and obtain a registration form from the Tennessee Virtual Academy; complete and return it to Tennessee Virtual Academy.
- Provide all the registration requirements for Tennessee Virtual Academy, this includes shot records, attendance records, confirmation the student is in good standing within the Sumner County School.
- The Tennessee Virtual Academy will request the Child’s academic record.
- Registration during open enrollment only; the student will not be released to transfer to the Tennessee Virtual Academy any other time.
- Students enrolled with Tennessee Virtual Academy are under the guidelines of the Compulsory Attendance Law and subject ot ocurt action due to non-compliance.