DEGREE CHANGE INFORMATION
Click Here for REQUIRED District Degree Change Notification Form (HR and PAYROLL purposes)
- How to add a degree to current account in TNCompass:
- Educators may add a degree from a regionally accredited institution to their license. To add a degree to a license, an educator must:
- complete a transaction in TNCompass; and
- Tennessee Rules and Regulations degree change for pay purposes: (Rule 0520-01-02-.02, continued) July, 2021 (Revised)
- (5) If a local school board adopts a salary schedule based in part on training, the following shall apply:
- (a) For college or university course work completed after the start of the current school year but before September 1, the salary rating shall be adjusted as of September 1 of the current school year. The employee must notify the LEA of the employee’s intent to complete course work prior to Aug. 31, and the LEA must file documentation of changes to the employee’s salary rating with the Department on or before October 15 of the current school year.
- (b) For college or university course work completed after August 31, but before January 1 of the current school year, the salary rating shall be adjusted as of January 1 of the current school year. The employee must notify the LEA of the employee’s intent to complete course work prior to Jan. 1. The LEA must file documentation of changes to the employee’s salary rating with the Department on, or before, February 15 of the current school year.
- **You must complete the required District Degree Change Notification Form above to let us know that you are completing coursework to advance your degree at your earliest opportunity. Once your coursework is complete and your new degree transaction has been approved by the Tennessee Department of Education, please CLICK HERE to complete the form for our department so that we can begin the necessary HR and Payroll paperwork for pay purposes.
JOB-EMBEDDED ALTERNATIVE TEACHING LICENSURE
- Interested in teaching, but do not have a license? By enrolling in a job-embedded program with a college or university that we partner with, you could be teaching in the classroom while completing your coursework. Sumner County Schools colleges/university partners: Austin Peay State University, Cumberland University, Lipscomb University, Middle Tennessee State University, Tennessee State University, Tennessee Tech University, Trevecca Nazarene University, Union University, University of Tennessee Knoxville, University of Tennessee Martin and Welch College.
- **IMPORTANT NOTICE**
- Applicants applying for a certified position in Sumner County Schools MUST hold a valid TN teaching license with proper endorsement. (TCA 49-5-101)
- Beginning August 1, 2023, candidates seeking initial licensure, or an endorsement, advancement, or renewal of existing licensure, to teach students in K-3 or as an instructional leader will be required to either:
- Provide a certificate documenting the candidate's passage of a Tennessee reading instruction test developed or identified by the department and approved by the state board that tests the candidate's knowledge of foundational literacy skills instruction. The department will recommend to the state board for approval, the score that constitutes passage of the test. Also, the department will provide the test at no cost to the candidate or educator preparation provider; or
- Provide evidence documenting the candidate's completion of a foundational literacy skills instruction course within the previous year.
- See the link below in the next section to read the latest information on reading requirements and other important updates.
- New Reading Requirement for Licensure
- New Mathematics 6-10 Endorsement
- Licensure Reactivation with an Out-of-State Professional License
- New Out-of-State Professional-Level Licensure Guidance
- Experience Requirements for Licensure Advancement
LICENSURE INFORMATION AND LINKS
- License Types
- How to Submit Academic Transcripts to the State
- Adding Additional Endorsements
- Educator's Guide to Entering PDPs In TNCompass for Approval
- Licensure Advancement Checklist from the State
- Licensure Advancement Directions - Practitioner Teacher (Non-Occupational)
- Occupational License Information (NEW)
- Occupational Licensure Requirements
- Out-of-State Applicants Licensure Checklist
- Praxis Information
- Professional Teacher Licensure Renewal Checklist from the State
- Tennessee Department of Education Office of Educator Licensing
- TNCompass Licensure Career and Technical Guide
- TNCompass Licensure Educator Guide
- TNCompass Login Page
- TNCompass Support
- Certified Resources